IBAB has state of the art in-silico labs, housing the latest software packages related to molecular modeling, such as Discovery studio, MOE etc. The institute also has a few Silicon Graphics workstations with bioinformatics programs such as GCG, Insight II and Cerius 2 for carrying out advanced research projects. All students and researchers have access to the high-speed internet connection at any time of the day or night. Each student is allocated an individual high-end computer to work with these programmes, besides extensive computer programming sessions, during their coursework. Students with a biology background have been hired as programmers after their course at IBAB!
Wet Laboratory Facilities
The biology labs at IBAB run under the supervision of a Biosafety Committee that includes experts from other institutions. Besides an array of basic equipment such as pipetmans and spectrophotometers, the institute hosts a range of other facilities:
- The Protein Purification Facility includes all infrastructure and equipment required for routine isolation and downstream processing of proteins from crude samples: cold room, high- and low-speed refrigerated centrifuges, microfuges, regular electrophoresis, basic FPLC, 2D electrophoresis systems and ultra-pure water purification systems. Chromatography can be carried out at ambient or low temperature, and purity and activity assayed by standard analytical techniques.
- The Molecular Biology lab has facilities for genetic engineering (recombinant DNA technology), analysis and comparative studies. The equipment and reagents required for the isolation of nucleic acids, and cloning and expression of genes, are available, including PCR and real time PCR machines and digital gel analysis systems.
- The Microbiology Facility includes laminar flow hoods, autoclaves, microscopes, incubators and shakers for growing and screening microbes.
- Tissue Culture and Cell Culture Facilities for eukaryotic cells are available, including laminar flow hoods, CO2 incubators, and routine and inverted trinocular fluorescent microscopes. Ultra-low freezers (-80°C) and other cryo-preservation facilities are also available. A clean environment and strict enforcement of laboratory rules minimizes the possibility of contamination.
- DNA Sequencing Facilities are provided by the Bio-IT Centre. Several IBAB students have done internships in the Bio-IT Centre.